kettlebell

2021 DIALED HEALTH SHRED

30 Day Fat Loss Challenge

Login to start a new discussion

Derek Teel Moderator

2021 DIALED HEALTH SHRED

All things support for the Dialed Fam focused on loosing fat in the new year!
Derek Teel Moderator
2 weeks ago
The latest blog post has everything you need to start the process: https://dialedhealth.com/blog/starting-the-challenge-2021-dialed-health-shred
2 weeks ago
I’m curious what people’s approach and what is recommended on figuring out your calorie allotment. Is it better to try and figure out your total calories burned over the week and use the average for calories burned or do most people change it day by day based off the workout that day?

I have been using the weekly average method but on weekends I almost always end up going over because my workouts are so much longer and feel like I’m slightly over eating during the week.
2 weeks ago
Omg...... I have kind of the same issue..... I use MyFitnessPal, Garmin Connect, Power Meter, Heartrate .... etc. Yet I continue to not be able to loose even 5 -10 extra pounds. Maybe its a cortisol level or hormone issue... which I've seen a little bit of info about, but.....never how to fix it. ? Base Calorie Calculator wrong?
2 weeks ago
My first New Year's Day without some degree of hangover in maybe 25 years? I'm sure that being off alcohol for the next month or more will certainly help me with my shred. I tend to overdo the IPAs and as a result eat everything in site before bed when that happens. Glad to be on a good path and with a program to keep me on it with goals in mind.
1 week ago
I'm in the same boat @Brian Rowbotham. Every week is different for me depending on whether its a heavy (cycling) training week, recovery week etc. I find it hard to know what my calorie expenditure is. Cycling is easier since you have a power output, but sea swims and dialed health workouts? So much of it is gender, height, weight, age dependant right? But basically I'm alway hungry and never lose weight!
1 week ago
haha - I hear you @mole - ditto!
1 week ago
I wonder if its worth trying to eat back the calories burned on the bike vs just eating consistently every day. Makes it easier to make adjustments and not doing anything radical.
1 week ago
Is there somewhere we to log all of the requirements? Or is it just on the honor system?
1 week ago
I took the before pictures - but do we hold of on sending them until the month is done (and then send along with the full package of info)? Seems to make sense that way, but unsure.
@Brian Rowbothan I have been using MyFitnessPal, synced to my Fitbit. In MFP, I set my activity level to Inactive so the app gives me a low number of calories. Then, because my Fitbit calculates my activity level and syncs to MFP, I usually get an extra 1000-1200 calories per day. I've found that method to be very effective for my lifestyle and my weight loss goals. It might be worth looking into to see if it's a good fit for you.
Derek Teel Moderator
1 week ago
Great questions everyone, I'll answer each question below!

*also, I realize how inconvenient it is to not currently be able to respond to questions directly with a "reply" button or "tag" option. Thank you for your patience, this is on it's way...
Derek Teel Moderator
1 week ago
TRACKING WEEKLY CALORIES VS. DAILY:

As mentioned, it's a lot more clear to understand the calories burnt through your rides(especially with power data). For Dialed Health Strength workouts, you can go off of your heart rate. The strength workouts tend to burn 300-500 calories(women & men) and typically comes down to your intensity. The trick here is to be CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT. Either track with your heart rate or pick a number in that range and stick with it. You can use your results to determine if you need more or less fuel. I give myself 500 calories for strength workouts.

Because your days can differ so much with caloric burn Rest day versus Century Ride(drastic example), I think adjusting your calories daily is the best option. If not, you run the risk of under fueling/recovering from big efforts. If your workouts and activity were more similar each day(like someone who does Crossfit 5X Per week) it would be more realistic to track for the weekly total.

Thoughts?
Derek Teel Moderator
1 week ago
IF YOU FEEL HUNGRY:

Make sure you're hitting your protein and hydration goals. This will help, but the truth is that you will feel hungry when losing fat and there is no way around it. However, if you're loosing a significant amount of energy there is a good chance you're in too much of a deficit. Bring up your calories by 200-300 and see if it helps you feel better.
Derek Teel Moderator
1 week ago
BEFORE PHOTOS & CHALLENGE REQUIREMENTS:

Before photos and measurements are to be sent with your after photos and measurements! This will help with organization on my end.

The requirements are "honor system" because we don't currently have the technology set up to track accurately. But don't worry, I've worked with enough people through this process to know what a month hitting this criteria looks like(men, women, 50+ years old, etc..)

YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM MY TRAINED EYE ;)
2 questions for @Derek:
1- When tracking in MFP, should I focus solely on calories or should I also track macro goals?
2- What workouts do we do? 3 rides, 2 strength, 1 mobility? Would it be better to follow a specific program?

thanks!

Please sign in or create an account to participate in this conversation.